|Go Back | Login | Home|
|Go to Show|
Top 150 Global Licensors Account for More Than $230 Billion in Retail Sales
License! Global magazine releases its annual list of the world's largest brand licensors representing the top licensed properties.
LOS ANGELES (May 16, 2013) – (Virtual Press Office) -- License! Global magazine (www.licensemag.com) has released its annual exclusive Top 150 Global Licensors report, which ranks the owners of intellectual property by annual retail sales. Licensors included on the list account for more than $230 billion of global retail sales of licensed merchandise in 2012, and provides sales data and trends for a broad spectrum of the world's most popular and recognizable brands.
This year's report, which is featured in License! Global's May issue, has increased to include 150 companies (up from 125 in 2012) to better reflect the growing prominence and sophistication of the brand licensing industry. Fifty-six of the companies profiled on the exclusive list report retail sales of $1 billion or more, with many new and high-profile brand businesses joining the list in 2013.
The top five Global Licensors, according to License! Global are:
• No. 1: Disney Consumer Products, which reported $39.3 billion on the strength of its brands such as Disney Princess, the Disney Junior portfolio of properties, as well as Marvel and its brands such as The Avengers and Lucasfilm's Star Wars.
• No. 2: Iconix Brand Group reported $13 billion in annual retail sales of licensed merchandise in 2012. Last year was a growth period for the company, as it acquired new brands including Umbro, Buffalo and Lee Cooper to round out its portfolio of 33 owned brands.
• No. 3: PVH reported $13 billion as it continues the global expansion of its growth brands Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger, as well as its heritage brands Arrow, Izod, Van Heusen and G. H. Bass. PVH grew its annual sales by $3 billion, over 2011.
• No. 4: Meredith debuts on the Top 150 Global Licensors report, representing more than $11.2 billion in retail sales of licensed merchandise. Its key brands include Better Homes & Gardens, Parents, Mother's Day, More, Family Circle, AllRecipes.com and Eating Well, among others.
• No. 5: Mattel rounds out the Top 5 with $7 billion in retail sales, same as it reported for 2011. Its flagship brands, which include Barbie, Monster High, Hot Wheels and Fisher-Price, represent best-in-class partnerships.
"This comprehensive report reflects the popularity of licensed brands among consumers as well as among leading retailers worldwide," says Tony Lisanti, global editorial director, License! Global. "The report highlights trends for world's most popular brands in entertainment, fashion, sports and other industry sectors."
In addition to Meredith, new companies added to the list include Rovio, Ralph Lauren, Hershey, Blue Star Alliance, Authentic Brands, Activision, Sequential Brands, HIT Entertainment and Tommy Bahama, to name a few. These companies represent such well-known brands as Angry Birds, Kensi, Marilyn Monroe, Skylanders, Caribbean Joe and Thomas the Tank Engine.
Find the Top 150 Global Licensors list, as well as the May issue in its entirety, by visiting www.licensemag.com.
Many of these licensors will be exhibiting at the Licensing Expo (www.licensingexpo.com), the world's largest and most influential brand, character and licensing event, set to take place June 18-20 at Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas, Nev.
For more licensing industry news, visit www.licensemag.com, find it on Twitter (@licensemag), on Facebook or via LinkedIn.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT: Tony Lisanti, Global Editorial Director, License! Global, (212) 951-6740, email@example.com
About License! Global:
Notes to editors:
About Advanstar Communications, Inc.