DALLAS, Jan. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced a battery charger integrated circuit to support higher cell capacity batteries and increasing battery charge currents of tablets, e-readers and smartphones. The highly integrated single-cell Li-Ion battery charger has dual inputs, which allow operation from either a USB port or higher power input supply (AC adapter or wireless power input). The two inputs are fully independent from each other and are easily configurable using the I2C interface or stand-alone interface. For more information or to order the bq2416x, visit www.ti.com/bq2416x-pr.
Key features and benefits
- Integrated FETs support charge rates up to 2.5 A (10.5 W) from IN input, and 1.5 A from USB input.
- Dual source inputs, AC adapter and USB 2.0/3.0 compatibility provide flexibility in design and applications.
- D+/D- auto adapter for USB input ease system design and reduce external components.
- 20-V input with 10.5-V over voltage protection supports low-cost unregulated adapters and poor USB sources.
- Integrated power path allows system startup from deeply discharged or no battery power operating conditions.
- BC1.2 compliance, JEITA charging support and thermal regulation protection help to provide safe and accurate battery operation.
Tools and support
TI offers a variety of tools and support to speed the implementation of the bq2416x family of devices:
Compatible TI devices
TI offers a number of compatible devices to work with or complement the bq2416x family, below are just a few. For a complete listing visit TI's tablet system block diagram at: www.ti.com/tabletSBD-pr.
Availability and pricing
The bq2416x battery chargers are available now in a 49-pin WCSP package; suggested resale pricing starts at $3.00 in quantities of 1,000.
Find out more about the bq2416x battery charger family at CES 2012:
Find out more about TI's battery management and tablet portfolio by visiting the links below:
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NASDAQ: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through manufacturing, design and sales operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated