Marie Labrie/Joseph Beare, MCA
Phone: (650) 968-8900
SID APPLAUDS 2012 HONORS AND AWARDS RECIPIENTS FOR OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTIONS TO FURTHERING THE DISPLAY INDUSTRY
Campbell, Calif., April 25, 2012 - (Virtual Press Office) - Celebrating 50 years as an organization dedicated to display innovation, the Society for Information Display (SID) today announced the recipients of its prestigious 2012 Honors and Awards for exceptional contributions to the display industry. Every year, SID recognizes individuals that have introduced novel approaches to display technology and/or have played a critical role in improving and advancing the display industry at large. The winners will be officially honored at an awards banquet, which will be held during Display Week—SID’s annual International Symposium, Seminar and Exhibition that runs June 3-8, 2012 at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center.
“I can’t think of a more appropriate way to celebrate our 50-year milestone than by recognizing the very individuals responsible for shaping our industry over the years,” said Dr. Munisamy Anandan, SID President. “This year’s award recipients truly reflect what our organization’s charter and this annual showcase for display innovation have set out to do—to advance display technology. We look forward to honoring the outstanding achievements that these and all previous award winners have made over the past 50 years that have transformed the display industry into what it is today—a hotbed of technological innovation that touches nearly every aspect of our lives. With the past 50 years serving as a guide, we can still only begin to imagine the world that these and future display pioneers will help craft in the coming years.”
2012 SID Honors and Awards Recipients
• The Karl Ferdinand Braun Prize honors outstanding technical achievement in, or contribution to, display technology. The 2012 recognition is awarded to Dr. Jun Souk, SID member and R&D Manager with Samsung Electronics, for his pioneering work in the technology and product development of very-large-sized TFT-LCD TV panels.
• The Jan Rajchman Prize awards exceptional scientific or technical achievement in, or contribution to, research on flat-panel displays. This year, the prestigious Jan Rajchman Prize is awarded to Dr. Tetsuo Tsutsui, SID member and Senior Vice President of the Chemical Materials Evaluation and Research Database (CEREBA). Dr. Tsutsui is recognized for his pioneering contributions to OLED research, especially the insightful application of the micro-cavity effect in OLED devices.
• The Otto Schade Prize awards outstanding scientific or technical achievement in, or contribution to, the advancement of functional performance and/or image quality of information displays. This year’s recipient is Adi Abileah, SID Fellow and Chief Scientist with the Technology Group at Planar Systems, for his many outstanding contributions to the enhancement of the functional performance of displays, including contrast, brightness, viewing angle, gray-scale resolution and stereoscopic imaging.
• This year’s Slottow-Owaki Prize is presented to Lawrence E. Tannas, Jr., SID past-president, Fellow, and President of Tannas Electronics, for his outstanding contributions to the education of students and engineers in the field of information displays for the last 30-plus years, teaching more than 100 courses during this time.
• This year’s Lewis and Beatrice Prize goes to Dr. Webster Howard, who is recognized for his exceptional and sustained service to the Society. Dr. Howard is a SID fellow, consultant and former Jan Rajchman Prize recipient, and is applauded for his constant contributions that have made a great impact to SID for more than 25 years.
The SID Fellow Awards honor individuals who have made a widely recognized and significant contribution in advancing display innovation. This year’s SID fellowship comprises pioneers and innovators from all over the globe. Recipients of the 2012 Fellow Awards are:
• Nikhil Balram, Ricoh Innovations
• Brian Berkeley, Samsung Mobile Display
• Ho Kyoon Chung, Sungkyunkwan University
• Oh-Kyong Kwon, Hanyang University
• Hiap L. Ong, Taiwan Kyoritsu Optronics Co.
SID is also honoring individuals with Special Recognition Awards for their distinguished contributions, including exemplary technical accomplishments, contributions to research and development, and service to the Society. This year’s Special Recognition Awards recognize the following individuals:
• Janglin Chen, Industrial Technology Research Institute/The Display Technology Center
• Hyang Yul Kim, Samsung Electronics Co.
• Seung-Hee Lee, Chonbuk National University
• Seok-Lyul Lee, AU Optronics
• Tapani Levola, Microsoft
• Shigeaki Mizushima, Sharp
• Masayuki Sugawara, Science and Technical Research Laboratories
• John Wager, College of Engineering, Oregon State University
The awards banquet will take place on Monday, June 4th within the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center (Room 206 A&B). For more information on attending the awards ceremony, please visit the Display Week 2012 website. Tickets cost $75 and must be purchased in advance, as they will not be available on site.
About Display Week
The 49th SID International Symposium, Seminar and Exhibition, dubbed Display Week 2012, will take place Sunday, June 3-8, 2012, at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center. Display Week is the premier international gathering of scientists, engineers, manufacturers and users in the field of electronic-information displays. For more information on Display Week 2012, visit http://www.displayweek.org or follow us on Twitter at @DisplayWeek. Share Display Week-related tweets using the hash tag #SID2012.
Celebrating its 50th anniversary, the Society for Information Display (SID) is the only professional organization focused on the display industry. In fact, by exclusively focusing on the advancement of electronic-display technology, SID provides a unique platform for industry collaboration, communication and training in all related technologies while showcasing the industry’s best new products. With more than 6,000 members worldwide, the organization’s members are professionals in the technical and business disciplines that relate to display research, design, manufacturing, applications, marketing and sales. To promote industry and academic technology development, while also educating consumers on the importance of displays, SID hosts more than 10 conferences a year, including Display Week, which brings industry and academia all under one roof to showcase technology that will shape the future. SID’s global headquarters are located at 1475 S. Bascom Ave., Ste. 114, Campbell, Calif. 95008. For more information, visit http://www.sid.org.
Note to Editors: Photos of the award recipients are available; please contact Marie Labrie at firstname.lastname@example.org or 650-968-8900, ext. 119.