VALID helps Telefonica in its LTE pilot during the Mobile World Congress 2013 using its state of the art Release 8 UICC cards
-- VALID's mioSIM® LTE product was chosen by Telefonica for its LTE pilot "demo" during MWC in Barcelona. VALID's product puts emphasis on the benefits of voice and data over LTE as well as other technological features allowed by this new type of networks.
-- The evolution of standards, defined in 3GPP and ETSI, has allowed the mioSIM® LTE, a Release 8 product, to explore these functionalities enabling the card to play a more significant role within the network.
-- The product, is commercially available and currently on offer on VALID´s vast portfolio and been used worldwide by renowned operators and carriers in Europe and America
MADRID, Feb. 28, 2013 (Virtual Press Office) -- VALID participates as one of Telefonica's technological partners in the implementation of the LTE network pilot deployed for MWC 2013 in Barcelona. Cards used for authentication within this network are part of VALID mioSIM® LTE family of products and are being used in several 4G devices from a different range of manufacturers also part of the programme.
VALID's mioSIM® LTE product was developed according to Release 8 standards improving and adding features in the following areas:
- Authentication: Characterized by a multi-application structure, the UICC in LTE environments provides strong authentication for different Radio Access Network (RAN): E.g: GERAN (network access to GSM/GPRS o 2G), UTRAN (network access to UMTS o 3G), E-UTRAN(network access to LTE o 4G), WiFi, i-WLAN, Femtocells, etc. through different applications.
- Authentication for IP networks: mioSIM® LTE also implements the ISIM already standardised in previous releases for authentication in IMS (IP Multimedia System) thus increasing security and access channels in a similar way to VPN connections. This improvement allows operators and carriers to offer services where security is required such as video, IM, presence, ID, payment, remote file management and remote application management
- Storage of new information in the UICC:
- This new USIM stores mobility management parameters for SAE/LTE. Critical information like location information or EPS security context is to be stored in USIM rather than the device.
- ICE (In Case of Emergency) user information is now standardized allowing the user to store user information such as medical details like blood type, allergies, emergency contacts...
- 3GPP has approved storage of eCall parameters. This service can send critical data including time, location, and vehicle identification in order to reduce response times by emergency services. Vehicle occupants can generate eCalls manually or automatically by in-vehicle sensors.
- The "PLMN lists with Access Technology" file supports the different network access technologies, e.g. supporting the way in which a device is to be connected (GSM, UTRAN, etc.) to the MNO's network.
- Improved toolkit functionality increasing support for NFC services (UICC interface can automatically launch NFC), M2M (handling data terminals or M2M modules without fixed connectivity), OMA-DM and DS (UICC can launch such sessions) and improved information on network coverage (e.g. proactive command is added to inform about the signal strength of an LTE base station)
All these new features supported by the mioSIM® LTE are available for mobile operators worldwide and have been key for selection VALID by Telefonica for this LTE pilot during the MWC 2013.
VALID is one of the leading technology and technology solutions providers worldwide. The group founded in 1957, with headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, has over 6200 employees worldwide, and has numerous subsidiaries, joint ventures and representatives in over 30 countries ensuring customer service quality and attention to its customer base through its operations in the Americas, Europe, Africa and Asia.
In all markets in which it operates, VALID is a pioneer in innovation, production and processing security documents, identification systems and smartcard-based solutions. VALID as an integrated provider of mobile security applications, develops and integrates hardware, software and services for banks, mobile network operators, public transportation companies, carriers and OEMs.