LAS VEGAS, May 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Interop 2013 --
- Provides comprehensive time synchronization and highest accuracy
- Delivers lower power consumption — 40 percent lower compared to previous generation GPHYs
- Extends power savings to legacy non-EEE devices
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced a new generation of energy efficient devices for its enterprise and carrier class PHY portfolio. Optimized for use in power-intensive Ethernet network applications, the 40 nanometer (nm) BCM54290 family of physical layer transceivers (PHYs) delivers the industry's lowest power consumption and offers a 40 percent power reduction compared to previous generation 65nm GPHYs. For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
High data volume and the need for greater processing power lead to a significant increase in power consumption across the network. Broadcom's Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) portfolio with AutoGrEEEn® Plus technology delivers up to 70 percent lower power consumption and extends energy savings to legacy MACs and non-EEE devices. The technology can be deployed when the device is in Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) mode communicating with an EEE link partner or when linked to a non-EEE enabled device.
"Highly precise synchronization, accurate latency management and power consumption are critical considerations for carrier Ethernet networks as they prepare for 4G deployment. The BCM54290 PHY family is tailor-made for use in stringent time synchronization applications and designed to address the challenges faced by LTE and LTE-Advanced networks," said Dr. Ali Abaye, Broadcom Senior Director of Product Marketing, PHY. "Enabling system OEMs and service providers to meet increasing traffic demands, Broadcom's new generation of PHY products enhance both power efficiency and performance."
The BCM54290 40nm multi-port Gigabit PHY family consists of the following six device options:
- BCM54290: Octal-port SGMII 10/100/1000BASE-T PHY
- BCM54292: Octal-port QSGMII 10/100/1000BASE-T PHY
- BCM54295: Octal-port QSGMII 10/100/1000BASE-T PHY with copper/fiber dual media interface
- BCM54294: Quad-port SGMII 10/100/1000BASE-T PHY with copper/fiber dual media interface
- BCM54291: Quad-port QSGMII 10/100/1000BASE-T PHY
- BCM54296: Quad-port QSGMII 10/100/1000BASE-T PHY with copper/fiber dual media interface
- Fully compliant to EEE for 1000BASE-T and 100BASE-TX
- As defined by the IEEE Std 802.3-2012 standard
- Most comprehensive feature sets for
- Synchronous Ethernet
- 1588 precision time synchronization
- Y.1731 latency performance monitoring
- 1ns 1588 PTP time stamp resolution
- SyncE+, IEEE 802.3bf support
- Enhanced cable plant diagnostics that detect cable plant impairments
The BCM54290 PHY is now sampling with production volume slated for 1H14. See Broadcom's complete portfolio of networking solutions for the data center and enterprise at Interop 2013 booth #2039.
For ongoing news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom, read the B-Connected Blog, or visit Facebook or Twitter. And to stay connected, subscribe to Broadcom's RSS Feed.
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, AutoGrEEEn and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Infrastructure & Networking