AMSTERDAM, Sept. 7, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- IBC --
- YouView digital TV service seamlessly integrates and delivers multiple sources of content including Catch-up TV, broadcast, DVR and VoD services
- Broadcom's high performance CPU and graphics capabilities unite smooth animation and video to create a single, intuitive user experience
- Broadcom's innovative and flexible chipset architecture supports converged content delivery and meets stringent security requirements
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced that its high performance set-top box technology is being deployed by YouView, a UK-based digital TV service. See demonstrations at IBC or visit Broadcom.com to learn more.
YouView features an innovative program guide combining live TV, video-on-demand (VoD), DVR content and Catch-up TV, including the ability to scroll back seven days to watch missed shows. Viewers can enjoy more than 100 digital TV and radio channels, seven day catch-up and on demand programs from the content libraries of the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 - all discoverable through YouView's simple-to-use user interface. Now TV provides YouView customers a commitment-free way to access a great range of pay movies and recently added milkshake! is home to some of the best loved preschool TV.
- Consumers can experience YouView by purchasing a subscription-free device at retail. Humax, a leading global set-top box manufacturer, is now shipping its Digital Television Recorder for YouView. Bundle offers with a broadband package from TalkTalk, a leading service provider in the UK, have been announced and offers from BT are planned.
- Broadcom's set-top box SoC platforms feature a high performance CPU built upon open source software to deliver a flexible and stable multi-application, system-level solution to the market.
- Key functionality includes:
- Multi-Application Framework: enables the display of broadcast and OTT content and services based on the Open Source DirectFB window manager.
- Highly Robust Digital Rights Management (DRM) technology: brings a new level of protection to content delivered using DRM security.
For ongoing Broadcom news visit our Newsroom, read our B-Connected Blog, or visit us on Facebook or Twitter. And to stay connected, subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Dan Marotta, Broadcom Executive Vice President & General Manager, Broadband Communications Group
"Committed to YouView since its inception, we are very happy to see YouView now launched in the market. We are confident that YouView's groundbreaking user experience sets a new standard in how consumers will expect to interact with television in the future."
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Broadband