SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- INTEL DEVELOPER FORUM 2012 –
- At the Intel Developer Forum (IDF), EMC is highlighting technologies and solutions based on Intel's newest technologies that will enable customers to accelerate their journey to the cloud and more effectively capture Big Data.
- EMC also announced full support of the Intel® Xeon® E5 processor family for its EMC® VMAX® Service Provider (VMAX SP) platform and Kazeon®, EMC's SourceOne eDiscovery platform.
- Building on its leading-edge use of PCI-Express Solid-State Drives (SSDs), EMC announced today that the company's next-generation Project Thunder platform will support the NVM Express (NVMe) interface. EMC will demonstrate the NVMe-ready Project Thunder at IDF.
At IDF today, EMC® Corporation (NYSE:EMC) announced that it extended its technology leadership and continued commitment to the company's partnership with Intel by announcing that the EMC VMAX SP platform and Kazeon, EMC's SourceOne eDiscovery platform are now powered by Intel's Xeon E5 processor. Today EMC also reinforced its commitment to interoperable industry standards through support of the NVMe standard in the company's next-generation Project Thunder platform.
Join the #emc and #IDF2012 conversations on Twitter.
EMC Supports New NVM Express Interface Standard:
NVMe is an optimized, high performance, scalable industry-standard host controller interface designed for Enterprise and Client PCIe SSDs. NVMe revolutionizes storage by delivering unprecedented input/output operations per second (IOPS) with lower total cost of ownership.
Continuing EMC's leadership in the latest Flash technology and its commitment to promoting open standards to further advance the industry as a whole, EMC's "Project Thunder," a server network attached appliance built entirely of high-speed PCIe Flash and optimized for persistent data stores with performance intensive workloads, will support the NVMe standard. Project Thunder will build upon the advanced PCIe technology delivered in EMC VFCache and the new NVMe industry standard to take advantage of the power of Flash through a dedicated Server Networked Flash-based appliance.
New Intel Xeon E5-based EMC Technologies:
- EMC VMAX Service Provider (VMAX SP) – Announced in May 2012, the VMAX SP platform is purpose-built for service providers, enabling the rapid and cost-effective purchase and deployment of a storage infrastructure to power new cloud services. VMAX SP leverages the proven capabilities of VMAX, the world's most trusted, powerful and smart storage. With the industry-leading performance and maximum energy efficiency delivered by the Intel Xeon E5 processor, VMAX SP delivers multi-tenanted, powerful, trusted and smart storage to improve operational efficiency and allow service providers to focus on their core business—creating new and differentiated services for customers.
- EMC SourceOne eDiscovery – EMC has embedded Intel's Xeon E5 processor into Kazeon, EMC's SourceOne eDiscovery platform, to accelerate performance for identifying collecting, analyzing, and reviewing terabytes of electronically stored information (ESI) as potential evidence for criminal and civil litigation proceedings.
Intel Executive Quote:
David Tuhy, General Manager, Storage Division, Intel Datacenter and Connected Systems Group
"Intel and EMC have partnered for many years to develop next generation Data Center technologies that enable customers to transform their use of Information Technology, especially around Cloud and Big Data infrastructure. The high-performance processing power, along with Intel® Integrated I/O and advanced storage features, makes the Intel Xeon E5 product family an ideal choice for storage solutions. Together we provide the intelligence and compute power required to enable the innovative technologies that EMC is showcasing at IDF, helping to achieve new levels of productivity and efficiency that will benefit our mutual customers."
EMC Executive Quote:
Jeremy Burton, Executive Vice President, Product Operations and Marketing, EMC Corporation
"EMC and Intel have been strategic partners for 17 years and will continue to work closely to develop industry-leading products and solutions that help customers realize maximum IT efficiency. EMC continues to lead the market in performance and efficiency because we utilize the latest Intel innovations, which helps our customers take full advantage of the revolutionary wave of IT that EMC is leading: Cloud, Big Data and Trust. These three things are transforming the way information technology is architected, deployed and consumed, which holds massive opportunity for our customers and for our business."
EMC at IDF: Key Opportunities to Listen, Learn and Gain Hands on Experience
EMC is a Gold Sponsor of IDF and will showcase advanced EMC technologies powered by Intel, as well as lead several speaking sessions for customers to gain valuable insight on a range of topics, including Cloud, Big Data, unified storage, Flash storage, and backup and recovery.
- EMC Greenplum®/Big Data (Booth #300): Experts will provide an overview of the Greenplum Analytics Workbench (AWB) powered by Intel Xeon processors —a 1000-node Hadoop cluster and highlight how the AWB can be accessed by developers and researchers working on cutting-edge Big Data projects.
- VMAX SP (Booth #300): Experts will showcase how the Intel Xeon E5-based VMAX SP is pre-packaged into service-level options, delivering specialized Quality of Service (QoS), multi-tenanted, metered platform.
- EMC Unified Storage (Booth #300): Attendees will learn how to incorporate public cloud technology into their information management strategy by using EMC's new Cloud Tiering Appliance to transparently move inactive data to the cloud, freeing up primary NAS capacity. EMC will demonstrate how its Cloud Tiering Appliance (CTA) performs policy-driven file movement from NetApp arrays and EMC Celerra® to EMC's VNX® unified storage systems or to EMC Isilon® systems.
- EMC Backup and Recovery Solutions (Booth #300): Intel processors help EMC reach the outstanding performance to be the industry leader in the Purpose Built Backup Appliance (PBBA) market with 65.5% market share. By leveraging Intel processors, EMC Backup and Recovery Systems help customers transform their data centers by protecting their data whether virtual or physical, with next generation products like EMC Avamar® and EMC Data Domain®.
- NVM Express Showcase (Booth #436): EMC will showcase an NVMe-ready Project Thunder solution featuring an Intel PCIe card-based SSD.
- Intel Data Center Community (Booth #110) features a live demo (functional showcase) of the Secure Cloud On Boarding solution. The reference stack on the floor will represent two data centers and will use the latest Intel Xeon E5-based servers with Intel® Trusted Execution Technology (TXT), VMware® ESX 5.1, EMC VPLEX®, RSA® Archer® and HyTrust.
EMC Speaking Sessions at IDF Include:
- Wednesday, September 12, 12:45 pm – 1:45 p.m., Room 2002
Cloud Transforms IT, Big Data Transforms Business
Zahid Hussain, Senior Vice President, Advanced Storage Division, EMC Corporation
- Wednesday, September 12, 3:30 p.m., Room 2008
Take Control of Your Cloud: Solutions to Meet Security and Compliance Needs
John McAuley, Principal Solutions Consultant, EMC Corporation
- Thursday, September 13, 12:00 p.m., Room 2003
NVM Express and the PCI Express SSD Revolution
Danny Cobb, CTO of the Flash Memory Business Unit, EMC Corporation
- Thursday, September 13, 1:15 p.m., Room 2001
Intel Xeon Processor E5-2600/2400 Architecture: Evolution for Storage
Steve Sardella, EMC Distinguished Engineer, EMC Corporation
EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC) is the world's leading developer and provider of information infrastructure technology and solutions that enable organizations of all sizes to transform the way they compete and create value from their information. Information about EMC's products and services can be found at www.emc.com.
EMC, Archer, Avamar, Celerra, Data Domain, Greenplum, Isilon, Kazeon, RSA, SourceOne, VFCache, VNX, VMAX and VPLEX are either registered trademarks or trademarks of EMC Corporation in the United States and other countries. VMware is either a registered trademark or trademark of VMware, Inc. in the United States and other countries. Intel and all product and company names herein may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their registered owners in the United States and in other countries. Other products and/or services are trademarks of their respective owners.
This release contains "forward-looking statements" as defined under the Federal Securities Laws. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of certain risk factors, including but not limited to: (i) adverse changes in general economic or market conditions; (ii) delays or reductions in information technology spending; (iii) the relative and varying rates of product price and component cost declines and the volume and mixture of product and services revenues; (iv) competitive factors, including but not limited to pricing pressures and new product introductions; (v) component and product quality and availability; (vi) fluctuations in VMware, Inc.'s operating results and risks associated with trading of VMware stock; (vii) the transition to new products, the uncertainty of customer acceptance of new product offerings and rapid technological and market change; (viii) risks associated with managing the growth of our business, including risks associated with acquisitions and investments and the challenges and costs of integration, restructuring and achieving anticipated synergies; (ix) the ability to attract and retain highly qualified employees; (x) insufficient, excess or obsolete inventory; (xi) fluctuating currency exchange rates; (xii) threats and other disruptions to our secure data centers or networks; (xiii) our ability to protect our proprietary technology; (xiv) war or acts of terrorism; and (xv) other one-time events and other important factors disclosed previously and from time to time in EMC's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. EMC disclaims any obligation to update any such forward-looking statements after the date of this release.
SOURCE EMC Corporation